On this page, you will find a list of books about activism. We want to thank all the authors of the books below for sharing their knowledge on activism.
If you have read any good books on activism, do share them in the collection below. When adding a book, please remember that they have to be about activism in general!
If you find a book that is about a specific topic, please add them to a more relevant article on our website instead.
- Doing Democracy: The MAP Model for Organizing Social Movements by Bill Moyer with Joann McAllister, Mary Lou Finley and Steven Soifer (2001)
- Climate Resistance Handbook by Daniel Hunter (2019)
- The Activist's Handbook by Randy Shaw (2013)
- Movement Action Plan by Bill Moyer, JoAnn McAllister, Mary Lou Finley and Steven Soifer (2001)
- Rules for Revolutionaries by Becky Bond & Zack Exley (2016): Discusses grassroots organising based on the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign.
- This is an uprising by Mark Engler and Paul Engler (2016): A book that discusses non-violent revolts and the deep-lying processes behind sudden outbursts of protests.
- The Empowerment Manual by Starhawk (2011): A manual on effective group facilitation.
- Tools for Grassroots Activists by Nora Gallagher and Lisa Myers (2016)
- People Power Manual by Jason Macleod (2016)
- Towards Collective Liberation by Chris Crass (2013): Anti-Racist Organizing, Feminist Praxis, and Movement Building Strategy
- How Organizations Develop Activists by Hahrie Han (2004)
- Organizing for social change by Kimberley A. Bobo, Jackie Kendall, Steve Max (2010)
- Roots to Power: A Manual for Grassroots Organizing by Lee Staples (2004) | Archived
- How to Win Campaigns: Communications for Change by Chris Rose (2011)
- Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead by Cecile Richards (2018)
- No Shortcuts: Organizing for Power in the New Gilded Age by Jane McAlevey (2016)
- Why Civil Resistance Works by Erica Chenoweth and Maria J. Stephan (2011)
- Organizing: People, Power, Change by Marshall Ganz (2014) [Creative Commons]
- Hegemony How-To by Jonathan Smucker (2017)
- How We Win by Farah Pandith (2018)
- Blueprint For a Revolution by Popovic (2015)
- Organizing Cools The Planet by Hilary Moore and Joshua Kahn Russell (2011)
- Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky (1971)
- Blueprint for Revolution by Srđa Popović (2015)
If you are interested in reading more books, check out these websites, which also contain lists of interesting books about activism: